First off you'll need just a few basic ingredients:
- 450g of beef stew meat (called boeuf bourguinon), cut into tiny morsels and deveined
- Marinate in 2 tablespoons vinaigre de vin rouge and 5 tablespoons l'huile d'olive vièrge and 1/2 cup de l'eau for 3 hours before cooking.
- Rinse and dry well before cooking.
- Shake with 1/2 cup seasoned flour
- 250g mushrooms (champignons de paris)
- 4 tbs beef stew seasoning mix (my mom sends it, here's a recipe if your not-so-lucky):
- "2 cups Flour
4 teaspoons Oregano (origan)
2 tablespoons basil (basilisque)
4 1/4 tablespoons salt (sel)
4 1/4 tablespoons black pepper (poivre noire)
4 1/4 tablespoons Garlic Powder (l'ail sec moulu)
4 1/4 tablespoons Paprika (piment doux)
1 teaspoon cayenne powder (poivre de cayenne) you can buy this at Cap épices in the 2ème 2 T Celery Seed
4 1/4 tablespoons Onion Powder (not available in France, but just use fresh)
2 tsp. rosemary (romarin)
Measure all ingredients into a large ziploc bag, shake well." - from trecipes forum
- Salt/Pepper/Bay Leaf (lauriel)
- 1/2 onion, 2 garlic cloves, both minced.
Small list- right? Now onto how to make it:
- Take the floured meat and sauté in a pot with a couple tablespoons of olive oil.
- *Déglace* the pan by adding 1/2 cup of water, stirring around to get the sticky bits up.
- Add 2 cups of water.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Add the seasoning.
- Boil on a low heat for 3 hours, stirring every 30 minutes or so until it thickens and bubbles.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve over some patates écrasés:
Easy. Cheap. Delicious.
That's how I roll.