About Me

My photo
Forks, Portland, Lyon - France, Paris - France, Portland and ending up in Bellingham.... the adventures of my life!

Search My Blog

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Recipe: Beef and Shrooms

I don't normally like to write out my recipes, since I normally change our dinner every night and I can never remember what it was I made... however last night was an especially delicious, inexpensive and filling dinner and so I thought I'd share.  The total cost was about 5 euros total for a giant pot.  De-li-ci-e-use.  This recipe is for 2.

Donc.

First off you'll need just a few basic ingredients:

  • 450g of beef stew meat (called boeuf bourguinon), cut into tiny morsels and deveined
    • Marinate in 2 tablespoons vinaigre de vin rouge and 5 tablespoons l'huile d'olive vièrge and 1/2 cup de l'eau for 3 hours before cooking.
    • Rinse and dry well before cooking.
    • Shake with 1/2 cup seasoned flour
  • 250g mushrooms (champignons de paris) 
  • 4 tbs beef stew seasoning mix (my mom sends it, here's a recipe if your not-so-lucky):
    • "2 cups Flour
      4 teaspoons Oregano (origan)
      2 tablespoons basil (basilisque)
      4 1/4 tablespoons salt (sel)
      4 1/4 tablespoons black pepper (poivre noire)
      4 1/4 tablespoons Garlic Powder (l'ail sec moulu)
      4 1/4 tablespoons Paprika (piment doux)
      1 teaspoon cayenne powder (poivre de cayenne) you can buy this at Cap épices in the 2ème 2 T Celery Seed
      4 1/4 tablespoons Onion Powder (not available in France, but just use fresh)
      2 tsp. rosemary (romarin)
      Measure all ingredients into a large ziploc bag, shake well." - from trecipes forum
  • Salt/Pepper/Bay Leaf (lauriel)
  • 1/2 onion, 2 garlic cloves, both minced.
Small list- right? Now onto how to make it:
  1. Take the floured meat and sauté in a pot with a couple tablespoons of olive oil.
  2. *Déglace* the pan by adding 1/2 cup of water, stirring around to get the sticky bits up.
  3. Add 2 cups of water.
  4. Add the mushrooms.
  5. Add the seasoning.
  6. Boil on a low heat for 3 hours, stirring every 30 minutes or so until it thickens and bubbles.
  7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve over some patates écrasés:


Easy. Cheap. Delicious.

That's how I roll.

a+

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...