About Me

My photo
Forks, Portland, Lyon - France, Paris - France, Portland and ending up in Bellingham.... the adventures of my life!

Search My Blog

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Pain of Distance

There is something that little blog writers touch- so focused on the adoration for the country, the how to survive guides and the self promoting glory I'd snagging a European lover... We forget the pain of being thousands of miles away from those we love and care about.

It has been one year since I have moved to France and mom finally was able to make a visit for a good chunk of 3 weeks from August to today. Today is that inevitable day that tends to come too quickly, the day she has to leave. In a year of living in Europe I tended to compartmentalize all those snaggy emotions with work or studies, I forgot what that pain felt like one year ago when dad, mom and bro waved me in tears at the airport in Portland.

It is not easy to say goodbye to a lover, it is just as painful to wave goodbye to a known life and family. The joy of them visiting tends to trump the sadness for the short term until you let yourself get comfortable with coming home to mom... And then as fast as it started you come home and she is gone.

Let me give a piece of advice to those wanting to do the European adventure: you are going to have to say goodbye eventually. In my case it was either to Bri or to my Parents... It's a well known sadness that I am carrying and I know exactly what to do to not feel it. If you have never been away from home, or never gone on vacation alone prepare yourself emotionally avant departure. Otherwise the shock could change your very core.

Lots of love to those who say goodbye,

A+

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...