- summertime weather
- ability to wear shorts
- slew of sailors coming in for the awesome festival known as FLEET WEEK in my mother tongue.
How joyous was I when I unlocked my boite de lettre and out popped a flyer that stated, “Le Pardon des Mariniers”, or the forgiving of sailors. I could only assume, as Lyon is also a port city, that this meant Fleet Week!
Well. It does. It apparently is a yearly event put on by Lyon in the 2ème arrondissment and celebrates the mariniers, the sailors. It’s only this weekend, so with the beautiful weather, hot sailors in outfits and some time to kill why not check out the weekend events??
First off, today, starting at 2pm, there will be the following (all along the Quai Rambaud, next to Perrache), look at the map in regards to WHERE exactly the find the events:
(1) 2PM - Welcoming Ceremony at 21 Quai Rambaud
(2) 8:30pm to 1:00am – Sailor’s Ball… also at 21 Quai Rambaud.. if you can find a sailor alone, you could get invited!
Now onto the SUNDAY events…
In the Morning (Specific Agenda)…
(1) 9:30am – Competition for boat decorating.
(1) 10:00am – Mass (catholic service) by Father Gréa, accompanied by the Choir of Saint Blandine.
(1) 11:00am – Blessing of the boats along the quai.
(1) 12:00 pm – ‘verre d’amité’ or a glass of friendship by the Mayor of the 2ème.
In the Afternoon…
(5) 12:30pm – Lunch under the trees, drink and barbeque for 6-13€. PLUS Barbarian organs by Jean-Marie Nicollet.
(4) 2:00pm – Race of wherries (little boats) presented by Association of Battalion Families
(4) 2:30pm – Demonstration of the joutes or long boats that joust, resembling Viking boats. Accompanied by music presented by La Barquette de Givors.
(4) 4:00pm – Demonstration of rescue dogs.
(2) 4:00pm to 6:30pm– A presentation by the Folk Lore group, Estrelas douradas, of the 6ème.
(1 & 9) 4:30pm/5:30pm – Presentation (like a fashion show) of the musical decorated boats presented by Grand Lyon.
Offered ALL DAY LONG…
(1) Commented visit of the Chapel Boat “Le Lien”
(2) Wooden toy creation by “Billy the Kit”
- Fun area and toys for children.
- Reduction in prices for the decoration of the boats
(6) Large commercial boats and artisanal floats
- 3 free shows with the famous Lyonnais Guignols.
(7) Discover the Canoeing/Kayaking and initiation of Baby Ski for 4/13 years old, free, please bring a swimsuit.
(9) The boats of plaisanciers
- Racing games
Enjoy your SUNDAY and happy Fleet Weekend!