About Me

My photo
Forks, Portland, Lyon - France, Paris - France, Portland and ending up in Bellingham.... the adventures of my life!

Search My Blog

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Story Time: Trip to the Salon

It took me one year and two months to build up the courage to go to a hair salon in France.  I had envisioned total destruction to my hair, as I had read a multitude of angry bloggers discussing their Bad Hair Experiences.  I was almost ready in May when I took a stroll with a good friend of mine from Sweden.  Her hair was tied up, and she mentioned she had recently got it cut.  When she took it down it was horrific.  The layers were mismatched, areas in the back were chunky and short... I put off the cutting until I saw a recent photo of myself and my blah hair:






I had went to a barbeque of a good friend, and after the photos came out I was a bit shocked.  My hair had become shaggy, worse the ends were torn up and abimés. It was officially time to get a hair cut.












The next logical step was to find a salon.  I knew I couldn't rely on them speaking English so I reviewed a blog post I had written a few months prior.  It discussed the typical words we use in the salon.  Alongside this I printed up some color photos to show what I wanted and prepared over a week for the cut.

I ended up calling a salon in the 6ème called, Lounge Cut.  Recommended by the Petit Paumé I was fully aware of the positive reviews of this place.  I called to take a reservation, and got in less than a week.

I was even more excited when I got there, and saw it was a nice little salon, with only 3 chairs for cutting, no giant hair factory.

I showed my photos and hashed through my French.  When I mentioned it had been over a year from my last cut; the coiffeuse was shocked.  She took about 3 inches of hair and said, "On doit les couper, si tu voudrais, car ils sont tellement abimés" I understood that one.  We should cut this much because I failed to respect my hair and I had split ends up the HIZZY.







I agreed.

The best part of Lounge Cut, is they cut it dry, like in many salons in the states.  She washed after, massaged my head, and then spent another 40 minutes styling.  I think next time I'll skip the 'brushing', but it did make my hair feel super soft.  She used scissors, not razors, unlike many French stylists.






Lei Wei, my stylist, also told me that there are a lot of English clients, and that Mark, another stylist can speak English.  So. Any one looking to get their hair cut by an English speaker, check out Lounge Cut and see Mark.  Lei Wei can also speak English, but she is better at understanding.


I felt great.  I promised to come back every 3 months, or 6 months maxi as she told me.

And the results, of my first cut in France?


I am happy.  It's definitely much more comfy for summer, I was smothering in my hair.

4 comments:

  1. It looks great!! I just chopped all my hair off too! Miss you in Portland. ~Kari

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! You don't look like a 60's Brigitte anymore...
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WVzdgHpXP4Q/S7P1nUBAcdI/AAAAAAAABhk/BN89Tf7BdjQ/s1600/brigitte_bardot_11.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I love the blog, Im a student that is here on exchange from Canada, and you answer a lot of important questions! Thanks and good luck in Paris, please continue ur blog with things to see in Paris :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I just wanted to say I really enjoy your blog. Im a student that has arrived in Lyon as an exchange student for a semester from Canada. You answered a lot of important questions and this blog has been really helpful. Good Luck in Paris and keep up the blog I would love to know about places to see in Paris :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...